This is a listing of the various articles I have here on the medieval website. There are a wide variety of articles and reviews about all things medieval.
- The Bad Fall of 1066 and Anglo-Saxon England - part 1 - 1066 is considered to be one of the most pivotal years in history.
- Medieval Movies - I have put together a list of some of the best medieval movies and I cover the main topics like the crusades and King Arthur. Some good movies here :)
- Siege Engines - A look at the common types of siege engines like Trebuchets, catapults and Siege Towers.
- A Visit to King Richard's Faire -also includes a great youtube video that I shot while there.
- The lives of two medieval women. These two women lived in the period of time between the Black Plague and the Renaissance. This was a time of a changing of life and culture and it laid a lot of the groundwork for the modern day. The first woman is the Prioress of a 15th century Nunnery and the second is a housewife of 14th century Paris. Both lives were very interesting and somewhat as expected, rich and interesting. Both these accountings are historically accurate, well documented, and quite fascinating.
- . A look Inside Higgins Armory Museum - They have lots of great armor and weapons, and a magnificent collection of polearms.
- . A blacksmith's shop inside a castle. Want to see a real blacksmith shop inside a real castle?
- Medieval Pastimes and Sports: So, what did people of the Medieval period and middle ages do in their spare time? Times could be very difficult but they still had an interesting range of pastimes and sports.
- all about Medieval Jobs - What was life really like during the Middle Ages? What kinds of jobs did they do? During the Middle Ages there were a lot of interesting jobs. I take a look at some of them and tell you a little bit about the Guilds of the time> Medieval Jobs
- all About Medieval Guilds - This is a companion article to the one on medieval jobs. Guilds could grow to be very powerful. This article lends you some insight into how guilds worked. Did you know that there was a guild called The Company of Merchant Adventurers
- The symbology and significance of the Round Table in King Arthur's Court - Everyone is familiar with the story of King Arthur and the Knight's of the Round Table But did you know the symbolic meaning of the Round Table?
- Medieval Music - A brief overview of the music of the 900 year Medieval period. Much of the music of the period is lost forever because there is little written record of it. But the church did write, record and further music so some of it still remains such as the Gregorian Chant. (There is a Gregorian Chant you can listen to)
- Medieval Names - looking for a medieval name? Maybe for a video game character? Here are lots of medieval names and a guide to titles and nicknames.
- A brief history of Medieval writing and scripts. I have included a lot of pictures of medieval writing. This is an interesting look at how writing changed over the middle ages and includes things like the gothic script.
- Medieval Jobs: A look at the wide variety of jobs in the Middle Ages. Some are well known but others are not so well known.
- Choosing What to wear when attending a Medieval Wedding by Rose Smith
- How to Live a Medieval Life!
- Medieval Mystique: The Lady and the Unicorn Tapestries
- A Look at the Dark Ages: A time when things were really Medieval Times were bleak and an estimated 100 million people were killed by war, poverty and plague
- Medieval Names, Words, and Places An interesting collection
DVD Review - This is a review of a History Channel DVD about a medieval castle siege that took place a thousand years before there were medieval castles! Alexander took the island of Tyre which was located a half mile off the shore of Lebanon. And the island had a massive stone wall surrounding it. It was for all practical purposes a castle. And Alexander the Great sieged and took it by building a land bridge out to it and creating a new type of siege engine called the Torsion Catapult. The land bridge out to the island is stil there over 2,000 years later. Quite amazing. My review of Alexander the Great & the Catapult
DVD Review: Life in Medieval Times - This is well researched and well presented. If you want to learn about this interesting period of time (1066-1485) you will get a lot out of this DVD. The rise of the guilds, the Magna Carta, knighthood, family life, farm life, etc. Life in Medieval Times